How Do I Fix My Microwave That Wont Turn On?

Microwaves have become an essential appliance in most homes, providing an effortless and convenient way to heat up or cook meals. However, a non-functioning microwave can be frustrating and can disrupt our daily routine. If your microwave won’t turn on, it is important to troubleshoot and identify the problem to fix it.

This article provides a guide on how to fix your microwave that won’t turn on. We will explore common causes of this problem, offer some simple solutions, and suggest some possible reasons for more complex issues. Whether you are dealing with a broken fuse, a faulty door switch or a damaged power cord, this article provides practical steps to help you restore your microwave to its perfect working condition.

Key Takeaway
If your microwave won’t turn on, try checking if it’s plugged in properly or if the circuit breaker has tripped. If neither of these solutions works, it could be a problem with the fuse or the door switch. In this case, it’s important to unplug the microwave and call a professional for repair. Attempting to fix electrical issues without proper training can be dangerous.

First Steps: Checking the Power Source

If you’re experiencing issues with your microwave, the first and most obvious thing to check is the power source. Ensure that it’s properly plugged in and that the outlet has power by plugging in another appliance or device. You may also want to check the circuit breaker to ascertain if a tripped breaker is to blame for the problem.

If the power issue persists, you’ll want to ensure that your microwave is receiving power by checking the internal fuse. This is a protective component that can sometimes wear out, and when that happens, your microwave may refuse to turn on. Locate your microwave’s fuse behind the control panel and use a multimeter to test the fuse’s continuity. If it’s blown, replace it with a new one and test your microwave again. If the problem persists, call a professional or the manufacturer’s customer service for further assistance.

Diagnostic Methods: Identifying the Cause of the Problem

When your microwave fails to turn on, it could be due to a variety of reasons, ranging from a loose connection to a burnt-out fuse. Before delving into the process of repairing it, it is important to identify the cause of the problem. This begins with checking if your microwave is plugged in properly. Some microwaves have power cords that can easily come loose, so try pushing it in firmly and checking if there is power.

Another common cause of a non-functioning microwave could be a tripped circuit breaker. Check your home’s electrical panel to ensure the circuit breaker that powers your microwave is ‘on’. On the other hand, if the circuit breaker is not tripped, check the outlet with a voltage tester to ensure there is power flowing. If there is power, but the microwave won’t turn on, this could indicate an internal problem with the appliance. Identifying the root of the problem can help determine the next steps for repairing your microwave.

Addressing Faulty Fuses and Circuit Breakers

If your microwave won’t turn on despite being plugged in, the issue might be with the fuses or circuit breakers. There might be faulty fuses or tripped circuit breakers, which can often be easily remedied. All you need to do is to locate the fuse box or circuit breaker panel in your home and check if any of them have tripped or blown.

The next step is to reset or replace the relevant fuses or circuit breakers. If the issue persists, it is best to call a professional for assistance or have the appliance inspected. Attempting to fix the microwave without adequate knowledge and experience might not only damage the appliance further but also pose a safety risk. So, address the faulty fuses and circuit breakers as the first step towards fixing your microwave but take the necessary precautions.

Repairing Worn-out Door Switches

One of the most common faults with a microwave that won’t turn on is worn-out door switches. These switches are responsible for detecting when the door is closed and allowing the appliance to start. The wear and tear on these switches can occur due to regular use, but can also be caused by slamming the door shut.

To repair worn-out door switches, you will need to access the control panel and remove the switches. These switches can often be identified by their different colors and sizes. Once removed, the switches can be tested for continuity using a multimeter. If a switch is found to be faulty, it will need to be replaced with a new one. You can purchase replacement switches from your local appliance repair store or online. Once you have replaced the faulty switch, reassemble the control panel and test the microwave to ensure it is working properly.

Addressing Blown-out Magnetrons

The magnetron is the component responsible for creating the electromagnetic waves that heat up the food in a microwave. A blown-out magnetron is a common problem among microwaves that won’t turn on. If you suspect that this is the issue with your appliance, you should consider seeking professional help as it can be dangerous to repair on your own.

A blown-out magnetron can be caused by a power surge or simply wear and tear over time. It is a costly repair, so it is important to weigh the cost of repair against the cost of a new microwave. If you choose to replace the magnetron, ensure that it is done by a qualified technician who can safely handle the high voltage components of the microwave. It is important never to attempt to repair a microwave yourself unless you are trained and qualified to do so as it is a potentially hazardous appliance.

Replacing Damaged Capacitors

Capacitors are an essential component of a microwave oven. They are responsible for storing an electrical charge that is used to power various parts of the microwave. If you find that your microwave is not turning on at all, it may be due to a faulty or damaged capacitor. Replacing a damaged capacitor can be a simple fix that should only be done by a qualified technician.

Before trying to replace the capacitor, you should make sure to unplug your microwave and discharge any remaining electrical charge from the capacitor. This can be done by placing a screwdriver on the terminals of the capacitor and allowing any stored charge to dissipate. Once discharged, you can safely remove the old capacitor and replace it with a new one. It’s important to note that capacitors can hold a dangerous amount of electrical charge, and should only be handled by a licensed professional. Avoid attempting to fix any electrical issues on your own, as it can potentially cause harm to yourself or your microwave.

Seeking Professional Help When Necessary

If all the troubleshooting methods fail and your microwave still won’t turn on, it might be time to seek professional help. Trying to fix it yourself might worsen the situation and may result in severe damage to the microwave or even put you in harm’s way. Besides, repairing a microwave is not an easy task, and it requires specialized knowledge.

To avoid further complications or risking your safety, it is best to have a qualified technician inspect your microwave. They have the necessary skills, tools, and knowledge to identify the problem and provide an adequate solution. Seeking professional help may cost you some money, but it’s better than causing further damage or harm to yourself. In conclusion, when all DIY attempts have failed, it’s essential to seek expert assistance to fix your non-working microwave.


Fixing a microwave that won’t turn on is not a difficult task, but it requires some patience and attention to detail. It is essential to start by checking the electrical connections and making sure that the circuit breaker is not tripped. Additionally, inspect the control panel and make sure it is not damaged. If none of these quick fixes work, it may be necessary to replace some internal components.

Taking safety precautions is also critical, as microwaves utilize high voltages that can be dangerous. Before starting any repairs, be sure to unplug the appliance and discharge the high voltage capacitor. By following these simple steps, you can once again enjoy the convenience of using your microwave oven. If you are unsure about any of the repairs or feel you cannot go further, it is best to seek professional help. In the end, it’s better to be safe than sorry.

Leave a Comment